Is Dental Insurance a Source of Problems, Frustration or Stress for Your Dental Practice?
This is the most comprehensive guide ever written on the topic of dental insurance. It can serve as a training tool for those new to dental insurance, an in-depth reference for those more experienced, as well as a quick “look-up” for anyone with a question about today’s insurance landscape.
- Are you receiving reimbursement for 99% of your services including crowns and SRPs?
- Do you understand how to be highly profitable in today’s world of insurance?
- Is your team fully confident in the treatment plan estimates they provide patients?
- Do you know how to make dental insurance work for you instead of against you?
If you answered no to any of these questions, you need this resource. Packed with information, illustrations, examples, tips, and case studies, this guide covers every aspect of dental insurance from claims for simple fillings to complex hybrid denture and implant cases in real life situations.
Author: Dr. Travis Campbell
Table of Contents:
PART 1 - UNDERSTANDING INSURANCE BASICS
- WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF DENTAL INSURANCE?
- BASIC DENTAL ANATOMY AND X-RAYS
- TYPES OF INSURANCE
- IN NETWORK VERSUS OUT OF NETWORK
- GATHERING NEW PATIENT INFORMATION
- VERIFICATIONS AND BREAKDOWNS
- CLAIMS PROCESS
- MANAGING SECONDARY INSURANCE
- EXPLANATION OF BENEFITS, ASSIGNMENT OF BENEFITS
- AVOIDING CLAIMS ERRORS AND DENIALS: THE MOST COMMON MISTAKES WITH INSURANCE
- INSURANCE REFUND REQUESTS
- MEDICAL/DENTAL CONNECTION
- HSA/FSA USAGE
PART 2 - UNDERSTANDING INSURANCE - ADVANCED
- UNDERSTANDING THE INSURANCE COMPANY
- INSURANCE NETWORK CONTRACTS
- NON-COVERED SERVICES (NCS)
- FILING INSURANCE CLAIMS 102—ADVANCED
- UNDERSTANDING DISCOUNTS AND FRAUD - AVOIDING TROUBLE
- ADVANCED INSURANCE CODING
- INSURANCE AUDITS
- TREATMENT PLANNING WITH INSURANCE
- HOW TO GET PAID FOR COMMONLY DENIED SERVICES
PART 3 - PROFITABILITY AND OWNERSHIP WITHIN AN INSURANCE-BASED PRACTICE
- PROFITABILITY AND INSURANCE DISCOUNTS
- DOES THIRD-PARTY FINANCING WORK WITH INSURANCE DISCOUNTS?
- NATIONAL PROVIDER IDENTIFIER (NPI)
- WHEN AND HOW TO DROP INSURANCE CONTRACTS
- TREATING FAMILY AND EMPLOYEES WHO CARRY DENTAL INSURANCE
- THE ROLE OF INSURANCE COORDINATOR
PART 4 - HOW COVID-19 CHANGED THE DENTAL LANDSCAPE
- PPE FEES AND INSURANCE COMPANIES
- TELEDENTISTRY AND INSURANCE CLAIMS
- HOW TO THRIVE IN THE NEW LANDSCAPE
PART 5 - CASE STUDIES
- CASE STUDIES EXPLAINED
- ABOUT THE AUTHOR
About Dr. Travis Campbell:
Dr. Travis Campbell, has been a practicing dentist since 2009, after graduating from Baylor University in Waco, Texas and then Baylor College of Dentistry in Dallas, Texas. He is an author, trainer, speaker at dental conferences, a contributor to various online dental communities, and dental coach/consultant. He has been dubbed “The Practice Whisperer”, which became the title of his first book released in 2019. Ever an entrepreneur, Dr. Campbell purchased a second dental practice, in Garland, Texas in the fall of 2019. Having gained a reputation as an expert in the complex area of dental insurance, Dr. Campbell’s new “moniker” is “The Dental Insurance Guy!” From understanding insurance to developing strategies to accelerate practice growth, Dr. Campbell delivers practical, actionable content that dentists and team members can use immediately. He dispels many of the myths and misinformation around today’s dental insurance policies and explains how to navigate the complexities of being an exceptional dentist, business owner, and leader while still having a life outside of work. Dr. Campbell lives in Prosper, Texas with his wife and two young children.